Honey is forever—it never spoils. In this very disposable world, it’s refreshing to find something so enduring. What a wonderful, timeless symbol for a romantic month. If you would like to give your sweetie a homemade gift, try one of these delicious recipes enhanced with honey: candied grapefruit peels, chocolate covered strawberries or raspberry truffles. These treats are perfect for gift giving as they require no baking, are fun and easy to make, and will impress your loved ones.
With more than 300 varieties of honey in the United States alone, it's no surprise that we use it to sweeten so many of our favorite seasonal treats. Not only can honey substitute for sugar in most dessert recipes, it also adds a delicate hint of its own unique essence—making each creation something extra special.
Candied Grapefruit Peels
- 2 ruby red grapefruits
- 2 1/2cups natural cane sugar, divided
- 1/2cup Bee America Tupelo Honey
- Place a silicone mat (or parchment paper) on a baking tray.
- Quarter each grapefruit and remove the fruit (save for another use) so only the peel remains.
- Slice the peels into long rectangular strips
- Place the peels in a saucepan and add enough cold water to cover them.
- Bring the peels to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Repeat once.
- Carefully remove the peels from the pan, add 2 more cups of water, 2 cups of sugar and the honey. Stir to dissolve under a low heat.
- Add back the orange peels and simmer for 2 hours (or until the peels become translucent).
- With a slotted spoon or tongs, remove peels from pan and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Let dry overnight
- Press the peels into the ½ cup remaining sugar to coat.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- 1/3 c Bee America Liberty Honey
- 1 c Virgin Coconut Oil
- 3/4 c Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1 t Vanilla Extract
- Sprinkle of Sea Salt
- 15-20 Large Strawberries
- Wash strawberries and thoroughly dry. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Add the honey and coconut oil to a bowl and heat gently over a pot of hot (not boiling) water. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla extract and sea salt to the same bowl and stir until combined.
- Dip each strawberry in the chocolate mix. Place coated strawberries on parchment sheet.
- Place baking sheet with strawberries in refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.
- 3 T Bee America Orange Blossom Honey
- 2 1/2 c Rolled Oats
- 2 1/2 c Raw Cashews
- 2 c Raspberries
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 8 oz Dark Chocolate
- Sprinkles, Shredded Coconut or Chopped Nuts for Topping
- In a food processor, pulverize the cashews and oats. Then add in the raspberries, honey and vanilla extract and pulse until smooth.
- With your hands, roll the mixture into rough small balls using your hands (you can wet your hands to prevent sticking) and place the balls on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Place the balls in the freezer for 15 or until they are firm.
- While the balls are chilling, melt the chocolate in a bowl by placing in the microwave on 50% power for 30-second intervals.
- Remove from freezer and reroll them if they are not already even, round balls.
- Dip each ball into the melted chocolate to cover. Place chocolate covered ball on a baking sheet lined with parchment and sprinkle with the topping of your choice.
- Put finished truffle back in the freezer for 30 minutes or until completely firm.
Have fun making these homemade treats with honey. They will make perfect gifts for friends, families and other loved ones!