In a year marked by fear, uncertainty and loss, it seems more important than ever to let those special people in our lives know how much we appreciate and care for them. Homemade gifts come from the heart and are treasured all the more for the love and effort that goes into making them. This time of year provides the perfect opportunity to give family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, teachers, a gift they will cherish because it is handmade with them in mind. The good news is that homemade gifts don’t need to be hard, time-consuming or expensive to make. Honey-inspired gifts will be greatly appreciated, as they are a sweet treat to either eat or pamper oneself with during the cold winter months.
Honey-Kissed Popcorn Balls
These cheerful popcorn balls will prove irresistible for snacking throughout the holiday season. Once the ingredients are prepared, they come together very quickly. You can put each one in a decorative cupcake liner or wrap individual ones in plastic wrap and tie with a merry ribbon.
- 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels, which will make approximately four quarts (or 16 cups or 1 gallon) of popped popcorn
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup Bee America Liberty Honey
- 1/8 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup pecans toasted and well chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate
- Place sugar, honey, water and salt in a lot pot and gradually bring to 235 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir thoroughly to combine.
- Stir popcorn into pot with the mixture and then when popcorn is mostly coated, add cranberries and walnuts.
- Coat hands with a little vegetable oil and shape mixture into balls. Press tightly together. Let cool.
- Melt white chocolate carefully either in a double boiler or microwave. Drizzle over the popcorn balls.
Honey Roasted Almonds
Roasted nuts are irresistible with their sweet and salty combination of flavors. They make wonderful homemade gifts for the holidays. Fill canning jars or little bags tied with a festive ribbon. Here's an easy and fast recipe for Honey Roasted Almonds.
- 4 c sliced raw almonds
- 1 T coconut oil
- 4 T Bee America Orange Blossom Honey
- ½ t kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350˚F and line a full-size sheet pan with parchment paper
- Combine coconut oil, salt and honey in a bowl and microwave for 45 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir in almonds
- Pour mixture into the sheet pan
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown, stirring every 10 minutes
- Remove from oven and sprinkle more salt to taste
Honey & Almond Body Scrub
This yummy-smelling mixture both exfoliates and moisturizes skin at the same time. Combine ¼ cup of ground almonds (use a mortal and pestle or Cuisinart) and ¼ cup of Bee America Prairie Honey honey to form a thick paste. Pack the scrub into Hermes Jars, which feature a clamp top lid and clear glass for an artisanal effect (these jars can be purchased easily online or bought at craft or home stores).
Of course, if you are running short on time or have an extra long gift list, consider giving the gift of pure honey. Click here to read about what types of Bee America honey make the best Holiday gifts.